Creamy Basil Roasted Chicken
Seemingly rich and indulgent, this dish is actually very light.
It makes a comforting meal served with wild rice and a salad.
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken parts
1 cup plain low or nonfat yogurt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. all purpose flour
3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the yogurt with the garlic powder, paprika basil, and soy sauce. Spread all over each chicken piece.
- Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes.
- Stir flour into the remaining yogurt. Spread over the chicken. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer, until cooked through and the edges are bubbling and turning golden brown.
If you have a cup or so of vegetables on hand such as mushrooms, broccoli, or bell peppers, you can cut them into bite-sized pieces and arrange them around the chicken pieces. They will roast in the chicken juices and make a great addition. Also, it’s perfectly okay to substitute other herbs such as tarragon or oregano.