Mini Corn Dog Muffins
These satisfying and slightly sweet morsels are sure to conjure up images of a summertime county fair. But with a sneaky serving of squash and apples, they’re lighter and more nutritious.
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
½ cup shredded yellow summer squash
1/4 cup sugar
1 package mini hot dogs
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut about ½ inch off each mini hot dog, so there is a flat side to make them stand up in the muffin batter.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, milk, oil, squash, and sugar.
- Gently mix together wet and dry ingredients, stirring only to coat. Be careful not to over mix.
- Prepare your muffin tin by spraying liberally with cooking spray.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full.
- Insert 1 hot dog piece into each muffin. Try to stand them upright.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
If you have extra corn bread batter, you can mix it with the cute-off hot dog ends and bake them in a regular sized muffin tin. Yum!
This recipe was inspired by happygoodtime.com.